Welcome to the PALS Provider (Blended Learning)
Thank you for registering for this course! The PALS Provider class are designed to teach and review the lifesaving skills required to be both a team member and a team leader in either an in-hospital or out-of-hospital setting. This course is divided into 3 parts.
(Part 1) You will be sent an online Heartcode Key to complete the AHA PALS online Heartcode course. Please allow up to 24 hours to be sent the heartcode key. You will then need to completete the PALS heartcode course. Please remember at the completion of the course to complete the courses survey, if you do not complete the survey you will show as incomplete and will not be issued a certificate of completion.
(Part 2) You must self-enroll and complete the PALS with COVID-19 Modification modules in the mycareer system. This will consist of watching course videos and completing the BLS and PALS exam. (If you are not a CHOP employee you do not have access to the mycareer system, please just complete the Part 1, which is the AHA online heartcode.)
Please using this link to complete the Mycareer modules:
(Part 3) On the date of your registered class you will complete a 4 hours instructor-led classroom session. In this session you will complete a BLS/CPR skills evaluation, which will complete your BLS certification requirements. You will then participate in skill stations (Airway, Vascular Access, and Defibrillator). You will then complete the PALS cases through team simulations.
We will also provide all students (CHOP employees) with a BLS for Healthcare Providers card. BLS for healthcare providers is focused on the skill of CPR for victims of all ages and will practice CPR in a team setting. You will learn how to use an AED as how to relieve choking.
The PALS course covers extensive material in a short period of time. To ensure your success, it is imperative that you prepare for the course beforehand. To best prepare for class, please read this letter in its entirety:
- Everyone attending PALS Provider (Blended Learning) must be sure to bring a copy of the certificate showing that they completed the AHA Heartcode Course and also bring their certificate showing that they completed the BLS and PALS exams on Mycareer. Please print out a copy and bring them to class. If you cannot print the results, please take a screen shot that includes your name with results or take a picture with your cell phone with the results. If you are not able to show that you have completed the Heartcode course and Mycareer modules you will be asked to reschedule for a later class.
- Review and understand all BLS guidelines. The resuscitation scenarios require that your BLS skills and knowledge be current.
- Practice Cases: Work through the practice cases to familiarize yourself with “Evaluate, Identify and Intervene” model used in the course.
- PALS algorithms and flowcharts: Be familiar with the PALS algorithms and flowcharts that you can apply in the clinical scenarios.
- Supplemental knowledge: Review the PALS Provider Manual. Pay attention to the systemic approach to pediatric assessment – General, Primary, Secondary and Tertiary assessments.
Please download files:
Click Here for the AHA eBook Directions
Click here for the PALS Helpful Study Guides
Day of class:
- PALS begins at 7:00 AM or 12:30pm depending on the session you are registered for: Plan to arrive at least 15-minutes prior to the beginning of the course for registration and such. There is a kiosk to “clock in” at the elevators outside the classroom 10040 CTRB. Late arrivals of greater than 15minutes may not gain entry into this class. You will need to contact your supervisor and re-register for this course.
Upon successful completion of the course, a Pediatric Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (PALS) provider card will be issued by the American Heart Association (AHA). This certification will expire 2 years from course completion date. A BLS for Healthcare Providers course completion card will be issued and will expire 2 years from the course completion date. You will receive an email from ecards@heart/org with a link inviting you to claim you e-card on line; follow the instructions.
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Pennsylvania State Nurses Association an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
We look forward to having you in this this PALS Course.
Please contact Mike Riley (PALS Course Director) firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Tuesday, November 3, 2020 from 7:30 AM to 11:30 AM (full)CHOP - Colket Translational Research Building, 10th Floor, Room 10040
- Tuesday, December 8, 2020 from 7:30 AM to 11:30 AMCHOP - Colket Translational Research Building, 10th Floor, Room 10040
- Tuesday, December 8, 2020 from 12:30 PM to 4:30 PMCHOP - Colket Translational Research Building, 10th Floor, Room 10040
- Tuesday, December 29, 2020 from 7:30 AM to 11:30 AMCHOP - Colket Translational Research Building, 10th Floor, Room 10040
- Tuesday, December 29, 2020 from 12:30 PM to 4:30 PMCHOP - Colket Translational Research Building, 10th Floor, Room 10040